Philips Determined To Succeed At Man City (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 3:12 AM
Credits
United-States
4711592.jpg
Kalvin Phillips has expressed his commitment to Manchester City and is eager to discuss his future with manager Pep Guardiola as they prepare for the upcoming season. Last summer, the 27-year-old midfielder made the decision to leave his childhood club, Leeds United, and join the Citizens in a transfer deal initially valued at £42m.

Despite encountering challenges in his debut season at the Etihad Stadium, where he only managed to start four out of 21 appearances across various competitions, Phillips faced setbacks due to injuries and the outstanding performances of Spanish midfielder Rodri. As a result, his playing time was limited. Speculation arose about Phillips potentially leaving Man City swiftly, with West Ham United reportedly showing interest in acquiring the midfielder. Additionally, Liverpool and Newcastle United have been closely monitoring his situation.

However, despite his peripheral role in Manchester City's historic 2022-23 season, in which they secured a treble, Phillips remains determined to stay at the Etihad and compete for his place under the guidance of Guardiola.

"To be honest I was injured before I even went to City, so that is one of the main reasons why I was injured so much,"
"City have been amazing to help me get back to full fitness and I eventually played a few more games for City and England, so credit to the medical staff at City for helping me.

"My intention is to stay there. We have just won the treble, so there is no reason for me to leave, other than if I am not playing I will obviously have to think about it.

"I cannot give it 12 months and say, 'I am not playing so I am going to leave'. I came to Manchester City to win trophies and we won the trophies, but I didn't play as much as I wanted to do.

"With England I played a little bit, but was ruled out through injuries as well. It is just nice to be back fit. I have nothing to worry about now. Everything is fine with my body. I will continue to work hard next season and hopefully do well when I go back to City."

Phillips has shared that he engaged in conversations with fellow players Nathan Ake and Jack Grealish regarding his debut season at Man City. Interestingly, both Ake and Grealish also experienced a similar adjustment period while adapting to life under Guardiola.

"I'd like to think [I am not the only new arrival to need time], to be honest," Phillips added. "I just know how difficult it is to understand the way Pep wants to play and how quickly you need to adapt to play in his system.

"I am on the brink of almost getting it. Obviously there is a little bit of work in pre-season and hopefully be all right.
"As you have seen with many players at City, it can take quite a while to cement yourself into the team. Hopefully I will enjoy my off-season and then work hard when I get back.

"I spoke to quite a few of the players about it. Nathan Ake being one, Jack, they all said the same, they all said the first 12 months were the hardest of their City careers but after that, it doesn't become easy, but easier."

Phillips plans to have a sit-down with Guardiola prior to the start of pre-season to have a detailed conversation about his future at Man City. He expressed his intention, stating:

"I don't know whether it will be in the summer because everyone enjoys their downtime and everyone wants their space away from football, so I'll probably leave it until I go back for pre-season but I'll just speak to him and have a good conversation.

"I'm just going to go away for the off-season and enjoy myself with my family and girlfriend and friends and then come back fighting."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back