Pep Guardiola to Shorten Half-Time Talks After Manchester City Fined for Delays (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 8:37 PM
Credits
1adf56f0-512c-11ef-9a10-e3a782009237.jpg

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has decided to shorten his half-time team talks after the club was fined for repeatedly being late to start matches and after half-time.

The club admitted to breaching Premier League rules 22 times "without good reason," resulting in a fine of £2.09 million. When asked about the fine, Guardiola said, "I just read it in the news. I would try to do my speeches at half-time shorter."

Guardiola made these remarks ahead of Saturday's pre-season match against Chelsea in Columbus, USA. With many senior players unavailable due to Euro 2024 and the Copa America, Guardiola has given significant playing time to Norway striker Erling Haaland, whose national team did not qualify for the summer tournament.

Previously, Guardiola mentioned that Haaland had "muscle niggles," but he provided a positive update: "He woke up and feels much better. And hopefully, he can play a few minutes."

Guardiola declined to comment on rumors linking Atletico Madrid with striker Julian Alvarez, who is currently competing in the Olympics in Paris with Argentina.

However, Guardiola had warm words for Chelsea's manager Enzo Maresca, a former member of his staff now managing Chelsea.

"I'm really pleased for him," Guardiola said. "We spent a special year together. He is an incredible, lovely person. And his family too. He did a really good job at Leicester: promotion to the Premier League and now he is with one of the top teams in England. "I wish him the best because he deserves it. Nice people deserve the best. As a manager, he will have success because he believes deeply in his ideas. Whatever the results, he sticks with his approach. And that's why he will succeed. I don't know how long it will take, but he will achieve it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back