Erling Haaland: 'I can challenge Lionel Messi for the Ballon d'Or' (1 Viewer)

caea4-16864342554782-1920.jpg
Manchester City's Norwegian striker, Erling Haaland believes he can compete with Lionel Messi to win the 2023 Ballon d'Or award. Both Haaland and Messi are top contenders for the prize this year because they won big trophies last season.

Haaland played a big role in Manchester City winning the Champions League, Premier League, and FA Cup. He scored lots of goals and got several awards, and now he's in the running for the Ballon d'Or.

Messi, on the other hand, wants to win his eighth Ballon d'Or after leading Argentina to win the World Cup. He also won the French league with Paris Saint-Germain and is doing well at Inter Miami in the USA.

Haaland believes he's in the race for the Ballon d'Or this year because he's had a great season with Manchester City, winning the UEFA Super Cup and scoring many goals in the Premier League.

When asked if he thinks he's one of the best strikers in the world during an interview, Haaland said yes.

"In my mind... It all depends on what we mean by striker. It's a trick question.

"I'm definitely up there. Am I the best? Maybe. I know I can still improve a great deal. I'm still young. But yes, I believe I have a chance this year."

Man City's No.9 added:
"I'd like people to remember me as a special player, in the way I play. This is what I'm trying to do every week: show special stuff."

Haaland is one of seven Manchester City players in the running for the Ballon d'Or. The list includes Messi's Argentine teammate Julian Alvarez, Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri, John Stones, Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, and new signing Josko Gvardiol, who joined from RB Leipzig this summer. The former treble-winning captain, Ilkay Gundogan, now with Barcelona, is also nominated.

Kylian Mbappe from PSG and the 2022 winner Karim Benzema, who now plays for Al-Ittihad, are among other big names nominated for the award. Surprisingly, Cristiano Ronaldo, a five-time winner, is not on the shortlist for the first time since 2003.

The 2023 Ballon d'Or ceremony is set to happen at the Theatre du Chatelet in Paris on October 30.

Does Haaland stand any chance or will Lionel Messi win his 8th Ballon'D'or title?

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back