And Still: Devin Haney wins Vasiliy Lomachenko via unanimous decision [thoughts on fight] (1 Viewer)

bryangrey

Staff member
Local time
Today 10:18 PM
Credits
Haney vs Loma.jpg

Devin Haney managed to get victorious in a 12-round fight with the tough Ukrainian fighter, Vasiliy Lomachenko.

The first round started strong for Devin Haney as he completely dominated Lomachenko, attacking with quick inside jabs and powerful rights, and getting out before Loma could react.

Haney controlled the pace of the fight like this for the early rounds as Lomachenko is known to be a slow starter.

One notable thing Haney kept doing was landing insane body shots at Lomachenko, hitting the ribs of the Ukrainian from unbelievable angles and with such accuracy till the flesh began to turn a little red. This has a tendency of taking out the gas from most fighters and slowing them down, but not Loma.

From round two, Lomachenko unusually went into full gear as he started registering headshots and sweet combinations to the undisputed champion.

In round six, the stats revealed that Lomachenko has thrown more punches than Haney, but Haney landed more punches than Loma. Talk about accuracy from Haney - one good thing he learned from Mayweather.

The swiftness with which the two men moved, their reflexes, timing, and precision was befitting of what a championship fight should be like. This was one high-powered match from beginning to end.

Lomachenko turned the tide of the match from round seven, landing several combinations to a flustered Haney who was beginning to lose the zeal and momentum he had in the early rounds.

Round 10 was one of the highlights for Loma. He completely dominated Haney. Loma was also impressive in round 11.

At around 12, Haney mustered up his last strength and balanced out Loma's attacks with counterpunches of his own. I'll give round 12 as a draw to both fighters, but it's not so with the judges, as one fighter must win each round.

The judges eventually awarded a unanimous decision to Devin Haney, as he retains the lightweight championship belts.

The decision by the judges is currently attracting attacks as people believe they robbed Loma of that fight. Lomachenko was seen crying in his dressing room after the fight.
FB_IMG_1684669418624.jpg

Personally, I think the fight was a really close one in favor of Devin Haney. I gave Haney the win from rounds one to six.

Loma won rounds seven to eleven. The last round was a close one but I'll give it to Haney.

The reason for this uproar on the judges' decision is because Lomachenko put a really close and spectacular performance against Haney. And since Loma won the majority of the late rounds, people tend to forget that Haney dominated the early rounds and most of the last round.

Since the fight ended with a huge momentum for Lomachenko, I see why some feel that Loma won, considering the closeness both fighters had to win the fight. But that's not how it works.

Loma did really really well against the champ, but the champ closely won most of it. And once a contender performs really well against a champion, the audience is moved to award the fight to the contender. However, you have to actually win the champ and this is where Loma fell short.
FB_IMG_1684669596308.jpg

I think a rematch would be great to settle the dust raised from this fight.

Last edited:
View attachment 134

Devin Haney managed to get victorious in a 12-round fight with the tough Ukrainian fighter, Vasiliy Lomachenko.

The first round started strong for Devin Haney as he completely dominated Lomachenko, attacking with quick inside jabs and powerful rights, and getting out before Loma could react.

Haney controlled the pace of the fight like this for the early rounds as Lomachenko is known to be a slow starter.

One notable thing Haney kept doing was landing insane body shots at Lomachenko, hitting the ribs of the Ukrainian from unbelievable angles and with such accuracy till the flesh began to turn a little red. This has a tendency of taking out the gas from most fighters and slowing them down, but not Loma.

From round two, Lomachenko unusually went into full gear as he started registering headshots and sweet combinations to the undisputed champion.

In round six, the stats revealed that Lomachenko has thrown more punches than Haney, but Haney landed more punches than Loma. Talk about accuracy from Haney - one good thing he learned from Mayweather.

The swiftness with which the two men moved, their reflexes, timing, and precision was befitting of what a championship fight should be like. This was one high-powered match from beginning to end.

Lomachenko turned the tide of the match from round seven, landing several combinations to a flustered Haney who was beginning to lose the zeal and momentum he had in the early rounds.

Round 10 was one of the highlights for Loma. He completely dominated Haney. Loma was also impressive in round 11.

At around 12, Haney mustered up his last strength and balanced out Loma's attacks with counterpunches of his own. I'll give round 12 as a draw to both fighters, but it's not so with the judges, as one fighter must win each round.

The judges eventually awarded a unanimous decision to Devin Haney, as he retains the lightweight championship belts.

The decision by the judges is currently attracting attacks as people believe they robbed Loma of that fight. Lomachenko was seen crying in his dressing room after the fight.
View attachment 135
Personally, I think the fight was a really close one in favor of Devin Haney. I gave Haney the win from rounds one to six.

Loma won rounds seven to eleven. The last round was a close one but I'll give it to Haney.

The reason for this uproar on the judges' decision is because Lomachenko put a really close and spectacular performance against Haney. And since Loma won the majority of the late rounds, people tend to forget that Haney dominated the early rounds and most of the last round.

Since the fight ended with a huge momentum for Lomachenko, I see why some feel that Loma won, considering the closeness both fighters had to win the fight. But that's not how it works.

Loma did really really well against the champ, but the champ closely won most of it. And once a contender performs really well against a champion, the audience is moved to award the fight to the contender. However, you have to actually win the champ and this is where Loma fell short.
View attachment 136
I'm glad the fight lived up to it's hype

View attachment 134

View attachment 135

View attachment 136
Will there be a Rematch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back