Wataru Endo wants Arne Slot to sign another holding midfielder (1 Viewer)

julliet

Local time
Today 11:40 AM
Credits
c
Liverpool midfielder Wataru Endo has urged head coach Arne Slot to bring in a new "number six" during the summer transfer window. Endo joined Liverpool last summer from Stuttgart for around £17 million after the Reds missed out on signing Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia, who both moved to Chelsea for big money.

Despite only being with the team for a short time, the 31-year-old became a regular under former manager Jurgen Klopp, making 43 appearances in all competitions during his debut season at Anfield.

Playing mostly in his preferred deep-lying midfield position, Endo competed with fellow new signing Alexis Mac Allister for starting spots.

Now, with the arrival of new head coach Slot, Endo feels Liverpool should strengthen their midfield even more, even if it means he gets less playing time next season. In an interview with ABEMA Sports Time, responding to reports that Liverpool plans to sign a new midfielder, Endo laughed and said:

"I don't care about those reports, but I also think it would be better to get the number six midfielder.

"I think there is a possibility that they are viewing a number 10 player [Alexis] Mac Allister as a number six/anchor, but at the moment there aren't many number six players to begin with.

"I had the most opportunities to play, and so did Mac Allister. We also had Thiago Alcantara, but he had a lot of injuries and is set to leave the club at the end of this season. We also have [Stefan Bajcetic] but it's still unclear as to whether he will be able to contribute immediately.

"Considering my age, I think it might be okay for me to get the number six. But if it ultimately makes the team stronger then I'm all for it, because there will be competition and I just have to win my position again. So I'm not really worried about it, and in fact I think it might be okay if I win."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back