Super Eagles Coach Augustine Eguavoen Denies Resignation Rumors (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
Credits
Super Eagles interim coach Augustine Eguavoen has refuted claims that he resigned after the team’s goalless draw with Rwanda on Tuesday, according to Soccernet.ng.

Eguavoen, who stepped into the role this month due to the Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) delay in hiring a permanent coach, is also the NFF’s technical director. He has taken on the interim coaching role several times before.

Previously, Eguavoen managed the Super Eagles during the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers, guiding the team to the round of 16. His latest stint began with a 3-0 victory over Benin in the 2025 AFCON Qualifiers, but his second game resulted in a draw against Rwanda in Kigali.

Following the game, rumors circulated that Eguavoen had resigned, but the 59-year-old has dismissed these reports. “It’s unfortunate that false information is spreading,” Eguavoen said.
“In our current situation, we don’t need negative stories. I was concerned when I saw those reports. They are not accurate.”

He added,
I’m still very much in charge. As the Technical Director of the NFF, I’m responsible for leading the Super Eagles at this time.”

The NFF has been slow to appoint a new coach since Finidi George's departure in June. Given Eguavoen’s recent performance, there is a strong possibility he will continue leading the team into the next round of qualifiers in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 1)
Back