Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 2:05 PM
Credits
United-States
images
23 time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams has announced that she will be "evolving away from tennis" after this year's US Open in an apparent confirmation of her imminent retirement from the sport.

The 40-year-old made one final bow at Wimbledon earlier this year after recovering from the leg injury which forced her to miss the back end of the 2021 season and the start of 2022.

Williams who became a mother in 2017 was eliminated in the first round by Harmony Tan at SW19 in what was expected to be her last appearance at the Grand Slam tournament.

Williams is currently competing at the Canadian Open and defeated Spain's Nuria Parrizas-Diaz in straight sets to advance to the second round on Monday, but she gave hints of her retirement in her post-match press conference.

"I guess there's just a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know, I'm getting closer to the light. Lately that's been it for me. I can't wait to get to that light," Williams explained.

"I can't do this forever. So sometimes you just want to try your best to enjoy the moments and do the best that you can."

Writing in September's issue of Vogue magazine, Williams has now confirmed that she will be stepping away from the court after a trophy-laden career after the upcoming US Open, claiming that "something's got to give" as she approaches her 41st birthday.

"A lot of people don't realize that I was two months pregnant when I won the Australian Open in 2017. But I'm turning 41 this month, and something's got to give. I've been reluctant to admit that I have to move on from playing tennis. It's like a taboo topic. It comes up, and I start to cry," Williams wrote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back