Olivier Giroud Retires From International Football After 13 Years (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
Credits
Olivier%20GIROUD%20france.jpg

Former Arsenal and Chelsea striker, Olivier Giroud, has retired from international football as France's highest male goal scorer, netting 57 goals in 137 appearances.

Giroud surpassed Thierry Henry's scoring record for France at the 2022 World Cup, and his 137 caps place him third on the all-time men's list, behind Lilian Thuram (142) and Hugo Lloris (145).

A World Cup winner in 2018, the 37-year-old played in every game during France's victorious campaign in Russia, though he didn't score and only provided one assist. After a brief stint in Euro 2020, Giroud scored four goals in the 2022 World Cup, where France lost to Argentina in the final. He was included in Didier Deschamps's squad for Euro 2024 but only played 56 minutes as a substitute in four matches.

With Kylian Mbappe, Marcus Thuram, and Randal Kolo Muani available in the striker position, Giroud has decided to retire from international duty. He announced his decision with a heartfelt message on social media.

"The dreaded moment has arrived: the moment to bid farewell to the French national team," Giroud wrote on Instagram. "My career with the French national team hasn't always been a smooth ride. I've sometimes doubted and suffered criticism, but deep down I've never stopped believing. Hard work, humility, and prayers have helped me through the difficult times. Thanks to the unfailing support of my wife and my four wonderful children, I've always found the strength to fight and come back even stronger each time."

Giroud's first appearance for France was in a 1-0 friendly win over the USA in November 2011, and he scored his first goal a few months later in a 2-1 victory against Germany. Besides his record-breaking goals, Giroud provided 15 assists for his country. Coach Deschamps praised his "unwavering commitment" to the national team.

"Olivier can leave the French team with a sense of achievement. More generally, I'd like to highlight his unwavering commitment. For that, too, we must say bravo and thank you," Deschamps said.

Giroud is set to join Los Angeles FC in Major League Soccer following the expiration of his contract with AC Milan. His move will be official when the secondary transfer window in North America opens on Thursday.

Olivier%20GIROUD%20france.jpg

Former Arsenal and Chelsea striker, Olivier Giroud, has retired from international football as France's highest male goal scorer, netting 57 goals in 137 appearances.

Giroud surpassed Thierry Henry's scoring record for France at the 2022 World Cup, and his 137 caps place him third on the all-time men's list, behind Lilian Thuram (142) and Hugo Lloris (145).

A World Cup winner in 2018, the 37-year-old played in every game during France's victorious campaign in Russia, though he didn't score and only provided one assist. After a brief stint in Euro 2020, Giroud scored four goals in the 2022 World Cup, where France lost to Argentina in the final. He was included in Didier Deschamps's squad for Euro 2024 but only played 56 minutes as a substitute in four matches.

With Kylian Mbappe, Marcus Thuram, and Randal Kolo Muani available in the striker position, Giroud has decided to retire from international duty. He announced his decision with a heartfelt message on social media.

"The dreaded moment has arrived: the moment to bid farewell to the French national team," Giroud wrote on Instagram. "My career with the French national team hasn't always been a smooth ride. I've sometimes doubted and suffered criticism, but deep down I've never stopped believing. Hard work, humility, and prayers have helped me through the difficult times. Thanks to the unfailing support of my wife and my four wonderful children, I've always found the strength to fight and come back even stronger each time."

Giroud's first appearance for France was in a 1-0 friendly win over the USA in November 2011, and he scored his first goal a few months later in a 2-1 victory against Germany. Besides his record-breaking goals, Giroud provided 15 assists for his country. Coach Deschamps praised his "unwavering commitment" to the national team.

"Olivier can leave the French team with a sense of achievement. More generally, I'd like to highlight his unwavering commitment. For that, too, we must say bravo and thank you," Deschamps said.

Giroud is set to join Los Angeles FC in Major League Soccer following the expiration of his contract with AC Milan. His move will be official when the secondary transfer window in North America opens on Thursday.
Thanks for the memories, cant forget your famous SCORPION KICK goal

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back