Mascherano Calls Out Olympic Match Chaos After Morocco Defeat (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 1:35 AM
Credits
javier-mascherano-2024-g-1200.jpg

Argentina's coach, Javier Mascherano, strongly criticized the chaotic conclusion of his team's 2-1 defeat to Morocco in the men's Olympic football tournament, calling it a "disgrace" and "a circus."

The opening football match of Paris 2024 was disrupted by crowd trouble, causing a nearly two-hour suspension, and the game was eventually finished in an empty stadium.

With Morocco leading 2-1, Argentina seemed to equalize 16 minutes into second-half injury time, which led to fans in Moroccan colors throwing bottles onto the field and invading the pitch. The referee halted the game at 16:05 BST, and play resumed at 18:00 after the fans had left the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard in Saint-Etienne.

Just before the restart, Argentina's equalizer was disallowed for offside following a review by the video assistant referee (VAR). Morocco held on to their lead during the three additional minutes.

Mascherano, a two-time Olympic gold medalist with Argentina in 2004 and 2008, expressed his shock:
"I haven't been coaching for long, but in all my years as a player, I've never witnessed anything like this. It's a circus.

But that's the reality. We can't control it. I told the players to focus on the future, aim for the six points we need to qualify, and let this situation fuel our determination and anger for what's ahead."

For a time, the match's outcome was uncertain, with the official International Olympic Committee (IOC) website initially showing it had ended. Mascherano mentioned that the team captains initially decided not to continue, and the organizers contacted FIFA before deciding to restart the game.

"It's a disgrace that such events can tarnish the tournament. This wouldn't happen even in a neighborhood game. It's pathetic," he said. "The organization needs to be up to standard, beyond just the Olympic spirit, and right now, it isn't."

In a statement, the tournament organizers said:
"The football match between Argentina and Morocco at the Saint-Etienne Stadium was suspended due to a pitch invasion by a small number of spectators. The match then restarted and concluded safely. Paris 2024 is working with relevant stakeholders to understand the causes and take appropriate actions."

Argentina's next match is on Saturday in Lyon against Iraq, while Morocco will play Ukraine in Saint-Etienne on the same day.

Argentina's coach, Javier Mascherano, strongly criticized the chaotic conclusion of his team's 2-1 defeat to Morocco in the men's Olympic football tournament, calling it a "disgrace" and "a circus."

The opening football match of Paris 2024 was disrupted by crowd trouble, causing a nearly two-hour suspension, and the game was eventually finished in an empty stadium.

With Morocco leading 2-1, Argentina seemed to equalize 16 minutes into second-half injury time, which led to fans in Moroccan colors throwing bottles onto the field and invading the pitch. The referee halted the game at 16:05 BST, and play resumed at 18:00 after the fans had left the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard in Saint-Etienne.

Just before the restart, Argentina's equalizer was disallowed for offside following a review by the video assistant referee (VAR). Morocco held on to their lead during the three additional minutes.

javier-mascherano-2024-g-1200.jpg

Mascherano, a two-time Olympic gold medalist with Argentina in 2004 and 2008, expressed his shock: "I haven't been coaching for long, but in all my years as a player, I've never witnessed anything like this. It's a circus.

But that's the reality. We can't control it. I told the players to focus on the future, aim for the six points we need to qualify, and let this situation fuel our determination and anger for what's ahead."

For a time, the match's outcome was uncertain, with the official International Olympic Committee (IOC) website initially showing it had ended. Mascherano mentioned that the team captains initially decided not to continue, and the organizers contacted FIFA before deciding to restart the game.

"It's a disgrace that such events can tarnish the tournament. This wouldn't happen even in a neighborhood game. It's pathetic," he said. "The organization needs to be up to standard, beyond just the Olympic spirit, and right now, it isn't."

In a statement, the tournament organizers said: "The football match between Argentina and Morocco at the Saint-Etienne Stadium was suspended due to a pitch invasion by a small number of spectators. The match then restarted and concluded safely. Paris 2024 is working with relevant stakeholders to understand the causes and take appropriate actions."

Argentina's next match is on Saturday in Lyon against Iraq, while Morocco will play Ukraine in Saint-Etienne on the same day.
It was absolutely Nuts!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back