Joan Laporta speaks on Pep Guardiola's chance of returning to Barcelona (1 Viewer)

Messi02

Local time
Today 7:24 PM
Credits
XESJNRZWM23N3JNWDYVBJRKOI4.jpg
Barcelona's president, Joan Laporta, has revealed that he frequently communicates with Manchester City's manager, Pep Guardiola, amidst ongoing speculation about the possibility of Guardiola returning to the Catalan club.

Barcelona is in the process of selecting a new head coach this summer, as the current coach, Xavi, has decided to step down, citing the need for a change in the team's dynamic.

Reports suggest that Laporta is determined to do everything in his power to persuade Guardiola to return to Barcelona, despite the fact that Guardiola is contracted with Manchester City until 2025.

Guardiola previously managed Barcelona's first team from 2008 to 2012, achieving significant success with three La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey victories, and two Champions League trophies.

After leaving Barcelona, Guardiola went on to coach Bayern Munich for three years before joining Manchester City. During his time with City, he has amassed an impressive collection of trophies, including five Premier League titles, two FA Cups, four League Cups, and a Champions League trophy.

While Laporta acknowledges that Guardiola is likely to remain at Manchester City for at least another season, he has left the door open for a potential return to Barcelona in the future.

"He has a contract with Manchester City (2025) and he respects contracts. I speak often with him and I know what the club thinks about him," he said in an interview with RAC1.

Laporta also said that he was 'surprised' to hear of Xavi's decision to stand down, with the club's legendary former midfielder revealing his plans after last weekend's 5-3 home loss to Villarreal.

"I heard the news after the Villarreal game. It was surprising because we hadn't planned for it. Xavi is an honest person, at first I thought it was because of the defeat, but I saw that he had thought about it, reflected on it, and believed it was the best thing to free the team and himself," he added.

"I thought that this was the best thing for the club. When he tells you something like that with a lot of conviction. I replied that if we had to fight for his continuity, we would do it. I told him that I accept this formula only because it's you.

"Because of your Barcelonaism and professionalism. You took the team in difficult times. Last year he won a very difficult league and the Spanish Super Cup.

"I want Xavi to continue until the end of the season. If he continues until the end, it's up to him. I'm not going to sack him no matter what. He doesn't deserve it. He deserves that we trust him.

"We are not throwing in the towel in the league, in the Champions League we face Napoli, but Xavi is very motivated. I have no doubts about Xavi and the motivation and commitment of players.

"Xavi is honest and if the formula doesn't work, he would say so. We accepted this formula only because it was Xavi. Otherwise, we would have sacked him."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back