How Sandro Tonali Found Purpose in Helping Others During 10 Months Betting Ban (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 9:43 AM
Credits
RDHVDMY3DVL3BFBFVJ25AFPSS4.jpg

Newcastle and Italian midfielder Sandro Tonali found solace in supporting fellow problem gamblers during his 10-month ban for violating betting regulations. After being banned by the Italian Football Federation in October 2023, Tonali’s suspension extended worldwide, endorsed by FIFA.

The 24-year-old, who joined Newcastle from AC Milan for £55 million in July 2023, is now on the verge of making a comeback, with a potential return to action in the Carabao Cup against Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

Reflecting on his time away from the pitch, Tonali shared how connecting with others facing similar struggles brought him unexpected comfort.

Speaking to Newcastle’s television channel, he revealed, "In the first three months, I met many people with ordinary jobs, especially in Newcastle, who had never spoken about their problem until my situation became public. After the articles came out, they decided to seek help, and that made me very happy."

In addition to his suspension, Tonali was required to complete an educational program and make 16 trips to Italy to educate young players about the dangers of gambling. The knowledge that his experience had inspired others to confront their issues provided a silver lining during a challenging period.

"These people found help just by starting to talk about it," Tonali added. "The first and biggest step is finding the courage to open up about the burden you've been carrying inside. Once you can do that, you're on the path to resolving the problem."

Tonali also expressed gratitude for the support he received from Newcastle’s staff and fans during his absence. "I'm happy because, after 10 months, I know the team and the fans were with me. I was never alone," he said. "The first three months were very difficult, but now it feels like a new beginning. As a footballer, you live for matchdays, so it was tough. But I worked hard, training every day, even more than when I was playing."

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe acknowledged the mix of emotions Tonali will face on his return, noting that after a long period of reflection, it will be a significant release for him to get back to doing what he loves.

Howe also emphasized the importance of taking small steps as Tonali reintegrates into the team. "He is fit and has worked incredibly hard to maintain his fitness. Now, it's just about getting him back to match practice and playing to his strengths," Howe remarked.

Tonali’s return is highly anticipated, not only for his on-field contributions but also for the personal journey he has undergone during his time away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back