How Everton Striker Beto Turns Criticism into Motivation (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 1:27 AM
Credits
0x0.jpg

Everton striker Beto believes having critics and "haters" motivates him to prove them wrong, though he admits his first season in England was challenging.

The 26-year-old joined Everton from Udinese for £25m last summer after scoring 10 goals for the Serie A team. Despite a promising start with a goal against Doncaster in the Carabao Cup, he only scored four more goals throughout the season.

"Football is simple," Beto told BBC Sport when asked if social media criticism fuels him. "People work long hours and come to watch us play. Not everyone will love you, and not everyone will hate you. In sports, it's okay. Sometimes I read negative comments and use them as motivation. I take it personally and work harder to prove them wrong."

Beto often played a secondary role to Dominic Calvert-Lewin, making 37 appearances, mostly as a substitute. He believes competition and criticism are essential for his growth. "Even when I was young, I needed competition and criticism to stay motivated. Without competition, you can get complacent."

Starting his career at Portuguese regional side Uniao Tires and working part-time at a fast-food restaurant, Beto moved to Olimpico Montijo and then to Primeira Liga side Portimonense in 2019.

He keeps screenshots of negative comments as motivation. "I have notes from Facebook and YouTube where people said I wasn't good enough. I read them to push myself harder."

Despite Everton's eight-point deduction last season, they avoided relegation by 14 points. Beto impressed in pre-season training in Ireland and played in the 3-3 draw against Sligo Rovers.

Reflecting on his adjustment from Italy to England, he said, "It was tough. I didn't adjust well, but now I understand the Premier League better and know what I need to do to improve. Last season was challenging, but we achieved our goal, and now we’re back refreshed and ready."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back