Andros Townsend Stuck in Limbo After Turkish Club’s Transfer Ban (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
Credits
MM-OFF-PLATFORM-townsend.jpg
Andros Townsend has found himself in a bizarre situation after signing with Turkish club Antalyaspor from Luton Town earlier this month. The 33-year-old winger revealed that he’s in a state of uncertainty, saying, "I don't know who owns me," following a transfer ban that prevents him from being officially registered by his new team.

Townsend's contract with Antalyaspor was signed just after FIFA imposed a registration ban on the club. As a result, although he can train with his new teammates, he’s unable to play or even be officially announced as an Antalyaspor player.

According to a source from Antalyaspor, the club's troubles stem from outstanding debts owed to two former players. The hope is that once these debts are settled, Townsend’s transfer can be finalized. However, until then, the former England international is stuck in a legal and professional limbo.

"I'm stuck in Antalyaspor just training," Townsend shared during an interview on BBC 5 Live's Monday Night Club. "I don't know who owns me, I don't know where my contract is."

Townsend had signed a long-term deal with Luton in January after joining as a free agent in October 2023. He made 31 appearances for Luton last season, helping them through a tough campaign that ended in relegation from the Premier League. He even came off the bench in their first Championship game of the season against Burnley on August 12.

Unfortunately for Townsend, Antalyaspor’s registration ban means they are barred from registering any new players until January 2026 due to various infractions, including financial disputes. Despite this, the club remains optimistic that they can resolve the situation before the end of the transfer season.

In an effort to explain the chaos, Townsend recounted, "I’ve had a Nuts couple of weeks. Three days before the start of the season at Luton, I got a call from Antalyaspor saying, 'We have an offer for you, but you’ve got 24 hours to respond because we’ve got a transfer ban coming.'"

Townsend managed to negotiate a way to stay with Luton for their first game before making the move to Turkey. However, due to missing the deadline by a couple of hours, he now finds himself in an awkward position where his contract is signed, but he isn’t officially registered.

Despite the red flags, Townsend felt compelled to take the leap, attracted by the opportunity to live in Antalya, a beautiful city by the beach. Now, he’s left in a holding pattern, with the club repeatedly assuring him that he’s their player, but unable to provide any clarity on when or if he’ll be able to officially play for them.

"I honestly have no idea what's happening or what’s going to happen," Townsend admitted. "I keep getting told 'tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.' Every time I ask what's happening, they say, 'Don't worry, you are our player, you're contracted to us, you can't go anywhere.' I'm just here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 1)
Back