Alvarez Joins Atletico Madrid From Manchester City On a Six-Year Deal (2 Viewers)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 8:18 PM
Credits
CgAGVWa6KzGAVuV_AAEsWc7vKd8571.jpg.webp

Atletico Madrid have completed the signing of Manchester City striker Julian Alvarez on a six-year deal worth £81.5m. The Spanish side will pay an initial £64.4m (75m euros) with a further £17.1m (20m euros) in potential add-ons for the 24-year-old Argentina international.

The transfer sets a new record sale for Manchester City, surpassing the £50m they received from Chelsea for Raheem Sterling in 2022. City signed Alvarez from River Plate in January 2022 for £14.1m.

Alvarez expressed his gratitude to Manchester City, saying: "Today I say goodbye to this amazing club, with a lot of emotion. These have been two very special years. During this time, I have grown and learnt a lot - both as a player and as a person."

The striker won six major trophies during his two-year stay at City, including the treble in his debut season and the 2022 World Cup with Argentina. He scored 36 goals in 106 appearances for City.

City director of football Txiki Begiristain praised Alvarez, saying: "He has been a pleasure to work with. The trophies he has won already tell their own story - he is a winner. I look forward to watching him develop further in the remainder of his career."

Alvarez is expected to make his Atletico Madrid debut during the start of their La Liga season opener against Villarreal on August 19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back